• a father and his son hugging him from the back and smiling

Frequently Asked Questions

Quickly find out if we have adressed your query:

How do I apply for supervised access?

Both parties are required to call the main office to request services, and then individual intake appointments are scheduled. An intake can take up to 1 hour.  All referrals are accepted on a first come, first serve basis. If space is not available, you will be placed on a waiting list and contacted as soon as space becomes available.

If you do not have a lawyer, then a self-referral may be acceptable if both parties provide a signed agreement. To discuss your suitability for a self-referral, contact our office at 613-542-8533

  • Each referral is subject to acceptance by the program

  • Each party must attend an intake interview to determine suitability

  • Upon acceptance into the program a monthly user fee is required

  • We reserve the right to restrict or limit program use

  • The court order will be followed as closely as possible according to the availability of staff and facility hours.

What do I need to bring to an intake appointment?

The following documentation is required:

  • health card or driver's license

  • health card for child participants

  • make, model and license plate of vehicle

  • emergency contact information

  • court documents pertaining to access (ie. court orders, minutes of settlement)

  • documentation specifying Children's Aid Society involvement

  • probation orders, bail conditions, peace bonds, restraining orders

  • preferred schedule availability

Are there user fees?

Yes, there is a user fee for each party which is paid on a monthly basis. Each party is required to pay his or her own fee unless ordered otherwise by the court or as agreed upon by the Coordinator and each party. Details regarding these fees can be discussed with the Coordinator during the intake process.

How often are fees due?

The monthly user fee is due on or before the first visit or exchange of that month. Receipt of payment will be provided.

What if I cannot afford to pay the user fee?

Submit your request in writing to the attention of the Program Coordinator and your situation will be reviewed.

Who supervises the visits?

Visits and exchanges are supervised by our staff. In addition to specific training for our program, our staff have relevant educational background such as a diploma in social services or early childhood education, or a Bachelor of Arts degree in psychology, sociology, crime and deviance, social work or human resources.

Does the access centre ever deny service?

Yes, our program reserves the right to refuse, cancel, or terminate visits if any of the following occurs:

  • A violation of the service agreement

  • Parties decide to withdraw from our program for their own reasons

  • Concern for the safety and well-being of participants, staff and volunteers of the Centre

  • A residential parent requires supervision

  • Children are in the care of the Children's Aid Society

  • A Children's Aid Society conducts an investigation; once initial investigation is complete service may resume on a case by case basis.

  • Parties do not agree to the terms/type of access

What if I require an interpreter?

Our program offers services in French. If an interpreter is required, arrangements can be made by contacting our main office at 613-542-8533.

What if the residential party moves farther from his/her assigned access centre?

The party can easily request a transfer to another location of our program. Please note that a transfer is subject to available space and parties may be required to participate in an additional intake interview.

What if there is a restraining order against me or the other party?

Our program schedules the arrival and departure of both parties 15 minutes apart from each other. The non-residential party must arrive first (15 minutes before the residential party). No one, including individuals providing transportation to the Centre should be waiting in the parking lot outside of their designated arrival times.

In cases where there are bail conditions restricting contact between parties and/or the children, the Centre may still consider to provide services if there is a family court order that allows for exceptions to these conditions for the purpose of supervised access.

What items are not allowed in the access centre?

Nuts and peanut products, recording devices (ie. cell phones, video cameras, tape recorders, laptop/computers) burned DVD's or open electronics, weapons, toys such as toy guns, matches, and other items deemed inappropriate by the Centre.

EXCEPTION: Digital cameras are allowed, however they are operated by staff during the visit.

How do I request the Observation Notes?

Submit your request in writing and allow the program up to two weeks to prepare the documents for you. When a party requests copies of the observation reports, it is our policy to provide the reports to the other party at the same time. The person who makes the request pays for the report prior to the report being distributed. If the report is requested by a lawyer, they are sent the invoice with the report. 

Is there a fee for Observation Reports?

Yes, $20.00 per Visit/Exchange up to a maximum of $400.00. 

Event Logs, Attendence Records, Letters etc. are $25.00 each.

What happens if I have to cancel a visit?

It is your responsibility to inform the Centre as soon as possible. Repeated cancellations or tardiness may result in a fee and you will be contacted by the Coordinator to determine if visits should continue. A "no show" results in a non-negotiable charge of $25.00.

Are services provided in French?

Yes, services are provided in French. In the event a bilingual staff is not available to monitor your visit, the Centre will make arrangements for an interpreter. Forms and documents are available in French.

Frontenac County *
Kingston Citadel

Meet us.
816 Centennial Drive
Kingston, Ontario K7M 0A4

Phone: 1-613-542-8533
Fax: 613-542-4094

Write us.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Community & Family Services

Meet us.
342 Patrick Street
Kingston, Ontario K7K 6R6

Phone: 1-613-542-8533
Fax: 613-542-4094

Write us.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Lennox & Addington County

Meet us.
15 Dairy Avenue
Napanee, Ontario K7R 3M3

Phone: 1-613-354-8287
Fax: 613-542-4094

Write us.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.